Wednesday, May 1, 2013

City Slickers!!!

Normally when I say that, I am making some flippant reference to someone who thinks just because I am from Texas, I am a country bumpkin...ok will stop because I don't want to get off on a tangent but feel free to ask me about that and I will be happy to share!!

City Slickers this time refers to a great event where the Colleyville Chamber of Commerce gets together music, auction, food and good times to raise money for charity.  The event is a lot of fun and good times are always at hand there.  I was fortunate enough to be invited this year and to bring some good ol' BBQ to the fray.  This was my first large event where I got to cook a lot of food for people that don't know me.  So to say I was nervous is an understatement.

Nervous makes sense though.  There were probably 800 people there trying all kinds of different food.  Great local restaurants were in attendance and I tried amazing pork belly sliders from NeXt Wood Fired Bistro and Vino Bar  (thanks for all of the great convo Mr. Martinez) , great crab cakes from Mac's, tasty brats from Red Dog Right and way too many salted caramel cupcakes from LaSera Cupcake Bar.  I was next to seasoned veterans who have been to this type of rodeo more than once and they were all great.  It was great to get to meet people and get advice from them and them eagerly providing and offers of help in the future.  

I had the smoker blowin' and goin' for 12 hours Sunday night and produced over 100 lbs of smoked meat.  Yep, 100 pounds.  Needed about 20.  We are giving meat to friends, family, work and if you want any, call me!  The food was very well received.  People came back 4 or 5 times to sample the brisket, chicken and pork.  People were asking me where they could buy my sauces and where my restaurant was because in the words of several "I would be there every day!"  The event was a huge success and I am so fortunate to have attended and met so many wonderful people. 





A special thank you to everyone who donated to the victims of the West Explosion. We raised $150 that was added to a special fundraiser hosted by Man Up BBQ.   A special shout out to two special ladies for helping me make this happen.  One I have known a lifetime and one I have just gotten to know.  Thank you to both for helping me get this business smoking!!!  Another shout out to my graphic designer Ms. Deborah Faitt-Esker.  She designed some beautiful menus and they were a hit as well.  If you need some graphic artistry done, contact me and I will get you in touch with her.  And of course I have to thank my partner in crime.  She got the table designed, made our signs, made sure everything we needed was packed and most importantly, kept me sane!  Love you honey!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to doing this much more often.

Keep on Smokin!!!  

1 comment: