Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Pit Ain't the pits!

I have spoke many times about the beauty that is Texas BBQ and it will always be my favorite.  I do however appreciate almost all BBQ.  Each region has their own style and flair.  Well, I have always heard about how great Carolina BBQ is and I finally found out this week.  

I went to a place a local Raleigh resident told me I should go.  Stand back, he's going to The Pit.  The Pit is a great place in downtown Raleigh.  As soon as I walked in I could smell the smoke.  Oh what a smell!!  When in Rome right?  So I ordered the pulled pork and ribs.  The pork was great without any sauce and when I added that classic Carolina mustard vinegar sauce, it was off the charts.  The pulled pork is done old school.  It is truly a pig pikkin! I moved on to the ribs and they were amazing (The Pit beat Bobby Flay in a throw down).  Carolina style ribs are a little bigger and meatier.  Trust me, you will love them.  I got sides of mac-n-cheese and fried okra.  Don't know why because I only ate the meat!!  Yes, the meat was that good.



BBQ is a cultural thing and each culture has their own tastes and likes.  I love Texas BBQ but that doesn't mean I don't love Carolina BBQ too.  If you want to taste some great authentic Carolina BBQ to see what I mean, stop by The Pit in Raleigh, North Carolina.  You can't go wrong there.  Even the fried pimento cheese was great!!  (you are in the South remember!)

Enjoy some pulled pig and keep on smokin!!!



6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Need to go to Raleigh it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Don...especially from a true Texan! Do I get credit for suggesting you check out The Pit? Thanks! Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you defend the Texas BBQ, but as a blogger it's your responsibility to provide accurate reviews as you see it. You do that, so kudos. I mean how else will folks know if it's a thumbs-up or thumbs-down? Goes without saying that you are loyal to the Lone Star State, BBQ!! The blog is really looking good and it can be a job to keep it up. Well done, Don!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I looked at it and decided I need to do something different. I am so glad you like it. I am trying hard to make an impact.

      Delete