Friday, July 6, 2012

Some more thoughts on Europe and the smoke...

So it is time for another weekend and I am sure I will be firing up the smoker.  I fired up the ol' girl last weekend (the smoker, not Shannon!) .  I tried something new with my brisket.  I discovered something in Europe that really opened my eyes.  Less is truly more.  The dishes we ate in Italy, France and Spain were very simple.  They were simple but very delicious.  The portions were smaller and the seasoning simple.  I thought a lot about this on the very long flight back from Spain.  I put it to the test last weekend.  I went with a simpler brisket that was trimmed as opposed to untrimmed and went with my simple rub.  Didn't inject it.  Didn't wrap it.  Didn't mess with it a lot.  Just rubbed it, smoked it, cut it and ate it.  I have to tell you that the European people got it right!  That brisket was great.  So besides all of the wonderful architecture, art and history I learned about, I came home with new theories about BBQ and cooking.  Excellent Texas beef, sharp mesquite smoke and a simple savory rub is my key to a wonderful brisket.  I hope everyone had a great 4th and keep on smoking!!


A few pics of wonderful food we had in Europe.







No comments:

Post a Comment